The British Columbia Principals` and Vice-Principals` Association, or BCPVPA, is a professional association that represents school administrators. The BCPVPA aims to elevate the profession of school leadership by supporting its members and advocating for public education.
One of the essential elements of the BCPVPA`s work is negotiating a collective agreement on behalf of its members. A collective agreement is a legally binding document that outlines the terms and conditions of employment for members of a union or association.
The BCPVPA`s collective agreement includes provisions related to salary, benefits, workload, and job duties. It is negotiated with the British Columbia Public School Employers` Association (BCPSEA), which represents school districts and other public school employers.
Some of the key elements of the BCPVPA`s collective agreement include:
1. Salary: The collective agreement outlines the salary schedule for principals and vice-principals, which is based on years of experience and level of responsibility. The agreement also includes provisions for salary increases, retroactive pay, and bonuses.
2. Benefits: The collective agreement includes provisions for extended health and dental benefits, life insurance, long-term disability insurance, and pension plans.
3. Job duties: The collective agreement outlines the job duties and responsibilities of principals and vice-principals, including their role in managing schools and ensuring high-quality education for students.
4. Workload: The collective agreement includes provisions related to workload, including limits on the number of hours that principals and vice-principals can work and guidelines for workload distribution.
5. Professional development: The collective agreement includes provisions for professional development opportunities for principals and vice-principals to ensure they have the necessary skills and knowledge to provide effective leadership in schools.
In addition to negotiating and enforcing the collective agreement, the BCPVPA also provides ongoing support and resources to its members. This includes professional development opportunities, mentorship programs, and networking events.
In conclusion, the BCPVPA`s collective agreement is a critical component of its work to support and advocate for school leadership in British Columbia. By negotiating a fair and comprehensive agreement with employers, the BCPVPA can ensure that its members have the necessary support and resources to provide the best possible education for students.